Writers from across Wiltshire are once again invited to create new, short radio plays that tell a Wiltshire story. Professional writers Jamila Gavin, Sumita Majumdar and Barney Norris will shortlist a final selection of 10. The chosen plays will be recorded by Prime Theatre and broadcast on BBC Radio Wiltshire in January 2023.
The first 10 Tiny Plays About Wiltshire were recorded by five actors from the country: Ella Dunlop, Carli Green, Mark Hyde, Jason Langley, Karen Marian. For inspiration the plays can be listened to here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0b3vthf
- Plays must be no longer than 2 minutes
- Plays must include no more than 2 voices (these can be of any age)
- Plays must be set in Wiltshire at any location and in any time zone
- Plays can be based on fact or fiction or a mixture of both
- Play must be original works and not adaptations of any other works
- Suggested sound effects should be kept to a minimum: the time and location of each play will introduce each recording
- All editing and recording decisions will be made by BBC and Prime staff
- Read your script out to yourself at a pace you’d expect to hear it recorded.
Only refer to sounds or music that are absolutely key to the action
You might like to download this tip sheet and visit these BBC resources:
How to enter
- Any submitted play should have the writer’s name on it. It should be in A4 format, ideally submitted as a Word file.
- Don't worry about using any professional script formatting, just be clear about WHERE, WHEN and WHO says WHAT
- Label the file in this format: Surname.First Name.Title of Play (e.g Smith.Raz.WiltshireWarblers)
- Plays should be submitted with a paragraph that tells us your real name (if a play is written under a pseudonym) and contact telephone number. If you’re under 18 please also provide a name and contact telephone number for your -parent or guardian.
- Before submitting a play, entrants must read and accept these downloadable Ten Tiny Plays Full Terms & Conditions
- Entries should be emailed to email@example.com
- Plays may be posted if necessary to Prime Theatre, c/o Wyvern Theatre, Theatre Square, Swindon SN1 1QN
-Do save a copy: submissions won't be returned
Entry is open to all Wiltshire residents aged 16 and over. Submissions will be received from 6am on Monday 12 September 2022, the closing date has now been extended and will now close at 6am on Monday 17 October 2022. Previous applicants and finalists are eligible to enter Ten Tiny Plays About Wiltshire 2022. Entrants aged under 18 must have the consent of a parent or guardian for their entries to be valid. Employees and close family members of the BBC and Prime Theatre are not eligible to enter. Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested. Only one submission per person will be accepted. Late entries will not be accepted.